VirtualBox Guest Additions driver is installed in ArcaOS and eCS guests to facilitate mouse capture, USB 2+ devices and arbitrary screen resolutions. All RI issued Virtual Workstations have this installed. Follow these instructions to UPGRADE to the latest version that comes with updates to VirtualBox.
NOTE: VBox 6+ and updated Guest Additions is required for Shared Folder access. Request an updated .ova from [email protected] for follow the steps below to enable.
ArcaOS Instructions: https://www.arcanoae.com/wiki/arcaos/post-install-tips-hints/installing-oracle-vm-virtualbox-os-2-guest-additions/
IMPORTANT: DO NOT BLINDLY FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS IN THE README FOR THE ADDITIONS, AS THIS WILL RESULT IN UNNECESSARY DUPLICATION AND POSSIBLE BACKLEVELING OF CERTAIN CRITICAL SYSTEM FILES.
To install the OS/2 Guest Additions in the ArcaOS VM:
- Ensure that the ArcaOS ISO has been ejected from the VM. From the VM’s devices menu, select Insert Guest Additions CD image…
- In the VM, open an OS/2 window and on the boot volume (C:) create the OS2ADDITIONS directory:
- [C:\]md OS2ADDITIONS <Enter>
- From the Guest additions CD (usually S:), copy all executable files from the \OS2 directory to C:\OS2ADDITIONS:
- [C:\]copy S:\OS2\*.exe C:\OS2ADDITIONS <Enter>
- From the Guest additions CD, copy the shared folders installable filesystem driver from the \OS2 directory to C:\OS2ADDITIONS:
- [C:\]copy S:\OS2\*.ifs C:\OS2ADDITIONS <Enter>
- From the Guest additions CD, copy the mouse and guest device drivers from the \OS2 directory to C:\OS2ADDITIONS:
- [C:\]copy S:\OS2\*.sys C:\OS2ADDITIONS <Enter>
- Unlock the in-use C:\OS2\DLL\gengradd.dll and rename it to gengradd.org:
- [C:\]unlock C:\OS2\DLL\gengradd.dll <Enter>
[C:\]ren C:\OS2\DLL\gengradd.dll *.org <Enter>
- From the Guest additions CD, copy the gengradd.dll from the \OS2 directory to C:\OS2\DLL:
- [C:\]copy S:\OS2\gengradd.dll C:\OS2\DLL <Enter>
- Open C:\CONFIG.SYS in a text editor and make the following changes:
- Append C:\OS2ADDITIONS; to the end of the PATH statement.
- Locate the DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\MOUSE.SYS line and comment it:
- REM DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\MOUSE.SYS
- Insert the following two lines just after the commented MOUSE.SYS line:
- Save the file.
- Either create or edit C:\STARTUP.CMD in the text editor. Add the following to the file:
- @echo off
Save the file and restart the VM. Once the VM boots, check the Shared clipboard setting on the Devices menu and set this as desired.
N.B.: To enable shared folders, follow the directions in the OS/2 Guest Additions readme.txt. Alternatively, enable sharing in the host OS, and use the Samba client in ArcaOS to map to the host’s share(s).
These instructions were adapted from the "readme.txt" file in the VirtualBox CD Image OS2 directory.
- the generic VESA gradd driver is being used (gengradd) (Verify or change with eCS > Local System > Install/Remove > Video Driver Wizard)
Installation instructions: (from readme.txt)
VirtualBox Guest Additions Driver for OS/2
- the generic VESA gradd driver is being used (gengradd)
Updated installation instructions:
- boot to the OS/2 command prompt (alt-f1 while the white blob is displayed during early boot, then f2)
- copy all files into the directory C:\OS2Additions
- make a backup copy of C:\os2\dll\gengradd.dll
- copy our gengradd.dll to C:\os2\dll
- copy libc06*.dll to C:\os2\dll
- comment out the 'device=C:\os2\boot\mouse.sys' line in C:\config.sys (put 'rem' in front)
- append 'device=C:\OS2Additions\vboxguest.sys' to C:\config.sys
- append 'device=C:\OS2Additions\vboxmouse.sys' to C:\config.sys
- append 'ifs=C:\OS2Additions\vboxsf.ifs' to C:\config.sys
- append C:\OS2Additions to PATH if you want to use VBoxControl.exe and shared folders.
- add 'C:\OS2Additions\VBoxService.exe' to the start of C:\startup.cmd
The shared folders are brand new in 6.0 and considered beta quality.
To attach a shared folder to a drive letter:
VBoxControl sharedfolder use <drive> <shared-folder-name>
To detach a shared folder from a drive:
VBoxControl sharedfolder unuse <drive>
To see available shared folders (any guest type):
VBoxControl sharedfolder list
The shared folders are accessible via UNC too:
or: dir \\vboxsvr\folder\
or: dir \\vboxsrv\folder\
The VBoxService can also attach and detach shared folders to/from drive
letters, if you check the 'Auto-Mount' flag in the config (host GUI).
See Guest Additions for OS/2